Sunday, 2 January 2011

Stupid Victorians!

Why is it still socially acceptable to gorge at x-mas/new years. Damn you society.


It all started on x-mas eve innocently enough. Round to Kylies for Lasagne and lasagne being in my top 10 foods of all time I have to say Jennys (Kylies mum) was very tasty. Had some room left, so squeezed in some chicken goujons and a few beers. 


Then comes the X-mas Day dinner. To start with the X-mas plates are the size of 2 normal plates welded together, this is then unceremoniously filled to the brim with all the meat and veg you can think of. Turkey, beef, gammon, pork, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, carrots, parsnips, peas, sprouts, beetroot and turnip topped off with a generous helping of gravy, apple sauce and cranberry sauce ( I'm sure I've left something out). Due to the pressure of social compliance , I then forced myself to empty the plate. By the time I finished I was so full I could barely make the 10 step journey to my bedroom for that tryptophan induced sleep that your powerless to stop. Once that wee sleep was over, I then had sticky toffee pudding for dessert.


Then comes the Boxing day dinner. Pretty much a carbon copy of the previous day, the only difference being that its mostly left overs and there isn't as much. Black forest Gateau was the dessert of choice this time.


As for the week in between X-mas and new years, it was a varied mixture of leftover meat filled sandwhichs, finishing the jelly and ice cream, polishing off the tins of sweets and biscuits and general all round greediness.


Then round comes new years day, this time no turkey because where all sick of looking at the stuff, but still a big feast and again leftovers for the day after.


So all in all 4 huge dinners within 7 days. I don't blame my ma I blame the Victorians! They weren't well fed during the year but went all out for the holidays. We just haven't got the message that we don't need to do this any more.


Anyway Happy new year to you all. 


And to my Scottish friends "A guid New Year to ane an' a' and mony may ye see"

4 of these in 7 days. We are all greedy at this time of year!


0 comments: