Wednesday, 16 March 2011

St. Paddys....

When I think of it, I've never really celebrated St.Patricks day. Well not the way that it should be celebrated by a person from Ireland. 

Primarily this holiday is for Catholics, but protestants get in on the action too after all its just another excuse to get drunk.


If memory serves, I did celebrate it once when I was either 18 or 19. When I say celebrate I mean it, at some point I remember I may have been sleeping under a bush until I was woken by a friend and I do clearly remember the hangover...ahhh! its all coming back now.


I'm not a big drinker, and probably will never be but on this occasion for whatever reason I threw caution to the wind and went for it. At 18/19 I would have still been in touch with most of my friends from school and this meant that there was a fair few of us on the rip that evening. This was pre-camera phone days so there is no evidence of this night, apart from the shared memories of course.


It went something like this;
Few drinks at a friends house --->pub-crawl ---> stopping to laugh @ the leprechauns --->sleep under a bush ---> taxi to said friends house ---> few more drinks ---> and then the worst sleep of my life. 


Mainly due to the fact I had to sleep on a Duvet! ;) in a bathroom, which when I think of it was actually a smart idea. As previously stated, I am not a big drinker so having a toilet bowl close at hand was a good thing.


This year as per previous years, I will not be going out to the bars because I gotta work but I will be raising a glass to one of the few people who can make the 2 sides of Ireland come together and get on for a few hours.


"May your glass be ever full.
May the roof over your head be always strong.
And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead."


Here's a very apt. Youtube video.... Happy St.Patricks day!






Till next time...Peace!


6 comments:

Kylie Gilchrist said...

Yes, work sucks! Im on that night and at 6 the next morning, so nothin for me...
Think you should change duvee to duvet...lol :)

ThomasMcCool said...

You know what, I seen that typo but autospell didn't pick it up so I thought it was me that was wrong. eejit, to much reliance on tec... Updated with a little video that I seen on FB. Please have a wee glass or bottle of summit to drink tomorrow just to say you did celebrate St.Paddys. :)

P.S. you are officially my spellchecker now, thats ur new job...

Kylie Gilchrist said...

Woohoo...Duvet! the best invention in the world..is it really an 'invention' as such...anyway...
how do you suppose I get anything to drink tomorrow except juice or suhin. I wont have time when I finish and I'm not buyin a bottle of suhin for 1 drink...it goes flat after :(

ThomasMcCool said...

I suggest one of those little 1/4 bottles of wine...If not we gotta get rat-arsed some nite to make it up...

Kylie Gilchrist said...

Um, naw. And them bottles of wine r just not nice

ThomasMcCool said...

If alcohol is out of the question then move on to the next Irish Liquid staple..TEA! Have a wee brew.