Monday, 4 July 2011

YEAH!!!! JOB!!!! Well, sort of....

I just finished the 1st bit of work I've got since getting here. For 3 days I have been helping to erect tents for the Australian V8 Supercar event. I believe this is an event that tours all around the country.

They had just painted it.
I know what your thinking, tents? Ha! a boy scout can do that...

Even though I've been erecting tents on a daily basis for over a decade(wink wink) it was still hard graft. These tents are huge with Steel and Aluminium frames and stupid framed flooring. I say stupid because the guy that designed them is an eejit and obviously hadn't put a floor together before, it was in a million pieces and fiddley as f**k.

not me in the pic btw...

I get paid the lower rate, but it still works out that what I get paid for a days work here is almost as much as a weeks worth back home. Awesome for me now, but when I sit and think about it I realise that the term "Rip Off Britain" is a very accurate one.

I can't say I've ever worked in the construction trade before but I surprised myself in how handy I was. I guess all the bollocking my Da used to give me when I helped him DIY'ing maybe sorta worked.

Am aching in places that I haven't ached before but it still feels good to have had a little bit of work, considering I have done nout since 24th May.

I've got the promise of a few days next week when the V8's are done, and am hoping they come down easier than they went up.

Up the workers

Kylie has also got her self job and a pretty good one at that. She is flogging Austar to people at a shopping center. (Jonny Foreigner note; Austar = cable TV). The good thing is, is that when we feel like moving on, they might be able to transfer her. This is only her 1st working day mind you, so am getting a bit ahead of myself.



P.S. Apparently I sound Scottish, most of the people in this hostel thought I came from Scotland. I am Northern Irish sure enough but I don't like my accent, so am well chuffed that is what they think. I spent a couple of years living in Scotland, so maybe I absorbed some of the brogue.

Enough babbling from me, am sleepy and away for a late siesta......


4 comments:

Mynx said...

You mean I have to stop imagining a sexy Irish accent as I read this? Bugger.
So are you now a Ford Man or a Holden Man?

lyndylou said...

lol so you are really an adopted Scot then since you did live here :)

ThomasMcCool said...

@mynx, my dear you imagine whatever you need to. Thats a really hard question too. Umm....Holden, because they are all kitted out.

@lyndylou, if ur wondering where, ill give you a clue....sheepshaggers....

Jo-Anne Rambling said...

Holden......shaking head here as I am a Ford woman as is all of my family....lol

I guess any work is good work though and hope you are enjoying your time in Australia, as I happen to think it is the best country in the world but then I am biased.......lol